During the weekend of June 12-13, His Grace Vladyka Alexis made his first Archpastoral visit to an Alaskan village. He was hosted by the Nativity of the Theotokos Church of Port Lions. The parish was founded in the late 1800’s in Afognak village and was served by many clergy including, the New Martyr St. Vasily Martysz and Archimandrite Gerasim (Schmaltz) who later lived on Monk’s Lagoon for many years caring for St. Herman’s relics. Following the 1964 earthquake and tsunami, the village and parish relocated to Port Lions village which was constructed to help house evacuees. During his Archpastoral visit Vladyka ALEXIS blessed a new cupola to adorn the temple and welcomed the parish’s first resident priest. Following the feast day of the Nativity of Theotokos (September 21) the cupola was affixed to the Church roof with the help of parishioners. Vladyka blessed the ongoing life of the parish and inspired parishioners to continue their steadfast prayers and labors for the Church.
Read the life of New Martyr Archpriest Vasily Martysz who was headquartered on Afognak.